from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A member of a Rajput ethnic group predominant in Nepal.
- n. A member of this people serving in the British or Indian armies.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A member of the dominant ethnic group in Nepal, with a Himalayan diaspora
- n. A member of this people recruited to serve in their own elite units in the British and Indian army
- adj. referring or belonging to the Gurkha people
- adj. referring or belonging to a/the Gurkha soldier/units
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a member of the Nepalese force that has been part of the British army for 200 years; known for fierceness in combat
- n. a member of Hindu people descended from brahmins and Rajputs who live in Nepal
Nepalese, from Sanskrit gorakṣaḥ, cowherd : Sanskrit gauḥ, cow; see gwou- in Indo-European roots + Sanskrit rakṣati, he protects.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)