American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- A country of central Europe. The area was successively under Roman, Hunnish, Gothic, and Slavic rule before being conquered by Magyars in the late ninth century. Saint Stephen converted them to Christianity and subsequently established the first Hungarian state c. 997. Ruled by the Ottoman Turks after 1526, it later passed to Hapsburg control, under which it became part of Austria-Hungary in 1867. In 1918 it achieved independence again. A Communist regime was established in 1949 and was replaced in 1989 by a democratic republic. Budapest is the capital and the largest city. Population: 9,960,000.
- n. Country in Europe. Official name: Hungary (Magyarország).
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A country in Central Europe, formerly a part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire.
- n. a republic in central Europe
- From Medieval Latin Hungaria. (Wiktionary)
“HUNGARY - Hungary will close its airspace from 1700 GMT on Friday for 24 hours.”
“BUDAPEST, HUNGARY (BosNewsLife) -- European Union leaders have ruled out a multi-billion dollar rescue plan for Eastern Europe in the face of the global economic crisis, despite warnings from Hungary that the rejection could lead to an economic "iron curtain" across the continent.”
“BUDAPEST, HUNGARY (BosNewsLife) -- The Foreign Secretary of the Dutch Christian Union party left Hungary Tuesday, September 16, with a”
“Many say the disaster in Hungary is unlikely to happen here.”
“This stork in Hungary is flying back to the nest to feed its offspring.”
“Beginning from Jan. 1, 2009, stem cell therapy in Hungary is regulated in accordance with an international regulation that makes extremely strict conditions concerning the use of stem cells in therapeutic treatment.”
“The second reason why I suggest you do business with Hungary and invest in Hungary is the resolute effort of the Hungarian government, the coalition government, to stabilise the economy in the short run and to modernise it in the long run.”
“No reasonable person has any doubt that the largest Nazi Party in Hungary is a subsidiary of the Nazi Party in the Reich.”
“While the police as a whole in Hungary is a faithful servant of the regime, the loyalty of many army officers is generally doubted.”
“Bismarck, whom the Germans thought a great man, spoke a truth about us in Hungary - "Austro-Hungary is a cow to be grazed on the Balkan Hills, and when she has grazed enough she is to be killed, to the profit of Germany.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘Hungary’.
All words of the Lisbon Treaty
(Persons' names, foreign and grammatical words have been eliminated, MWEs have been split up into individual words. Capitalization has been retained if r...
Looking for tweets for Hungary.