from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- abbr. Iowa
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- abbr. Iowa, a state of the United States of America.
- Initialism of immediate action. This is the procedure to determine the cause of a rifle stoppage
- Initialism of Institute of Arts.
- Initialism of information assurance.
- Initialism of internal affairs. This is a department responsible for investigating complaints against police officers.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A termination in Latin and Greek nouns (chiefly feminine), many of them in English use, being -a preceded by -i-, a stem-vowel, formative or euphonic, as in tib-ia, fasc-ia, milit-ia, man-ia, scor-ia, etc. When such forms are Anglicized, the termination becomes -y, as in family, from Latin familia.
- n. A termination in Latin and Greek nouns, many of them in English use, being -a preceded by -i-, a stem-vowel, formative or euphonic, as in regal-ia, saturnal-ia, etc.
- An abbrevation of Iowa.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a state in midwestern United States
Sorry, no etymologies found.