from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- The capital and largest city of Peru, in the west-central part of the country near the Pacific Ocean. Founded by Francisco Pizarro in 1535, it was the capital of Spain's New World empire until the 19th century. The city was largely rebuilt after earthquakes in 1687 and 1746. Population: 7,640,000.
- A city of northwest Ohio south-southwest of Toledo. It is a processing and marketing center for a rich farm area. Population: 38,200.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The letter L in the ICAO spelling alphabet.
- proper n. The capital of Peru.
- proper n. The letter L in the ICAO spelling alphabet.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
LIMA, Peru — Angry onlookers shouted "Disgrace!" and "Murderer!" at Joran van der Sloot on Friday after a judge ordered him jailed on first-degree murder and robbery charges in the beating and strangling death of a young Lima woman.
LIMA, Peru — Joran van der Sloot will spend all week at criminal police headquarters being questioned in the death of a 21-year-old Lima woman and has asked to be able to hire his own lawyer, authorities said Sunday.
LIMA, Peru - A high-ranking Peruvian government official confirmed to NBC News that Joran van der Sloot confessed to the slaying of a 21-year-old Lima woman.
LIMA, Peru - Joran van der Sloot confessed to the slaying of a 21-year-old woman in a Lima hotel room, a high-ranking Peruvian government official told NBC News on Monday.
LIMA, PERU - Energy ministers and other government energy leaders from across the Americas came together with major energy corporations and other experts in Lima, Peru June 15 and 16,
LIMA, Peru - The lone suspect in the disappearance of U.S. teen Natalee Holloway was paraded - moist-eyed and looking stunned - before reporters on Saturday as Peruvians denounced him and detectives began interrogating him about the murder of a Lima student.
LIMA, Peru - The young Dutchman wanted in the murder of a 21-year-old Lima woman -- who also remains the lone suspect in the 2005 disappearance of a U.S. teen Natalee Holloway -- arrived in Peru's capital on Saturday to face justice.
LIMA: Peruvian former president Alberto Fujimori was on Tuesday declared guilty by a special court in Lima of human rights abuses committed during his reign in the early 1990s.
LIMA, Peru, April 23, 2009 (ENS) - A framework for negotiating the removal of road and river blockades by indigenous peoples in the Peruvian Amazon was signed Monday by government and indigenous representatives in Lima.
LIMA, April 7, 2009 (LifeSiteNews. com) - The Cardinal Archbishop of Lima, Peru denounced pro-abortion forces as "traitors" in a homily last Sunday in the cathedral of the diocese.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.