from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of or relating to Melanesia or its peoples, languages, or cultures.
- n. A member of any of the indigenous peoples of Melanesia.
- n. A subfamily of the Austronesian languages that includes the languages of Melanesia.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of or relating to Melanesia.
- proper n. A Melanesian person.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to Melanesia.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of or belonging to Melanesia or a race inhabiting it.
- n. A native of Melanesia, a collection of islands in the western part of the Pacific, including New Caledonia, the Fiji Islands, Solomon Islands, New Hebrides, New Britain, etc. (some geographers include Papua and extend the term to comprise some of the lesser islands of the Malay archipelago); a member of one of the black or dark-brown races inhabiting the Melanesian islands.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. of or relating to Melanesia or its people or culture
Sorry, no etymologies found.