from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Bible The first of the two main divisions of the Christian Bible, corresponding to the Hebrew Scriptures. See Table at Bible.
- n. The covenant of God with Israel as distinguished in Christianity from the dispensation of Jesus constituting the New Testament.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. The first major part of the Christian Bible, covering events before the coming of Christ, corresponding roughly to the Jewish Tanakh. Usually subdivided into the categories of law, history, poetry (or wisdom books) and prophecy.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. See Old Testament under Testament, and see tanak.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the collection of books comprising the sacred scripture of the Hebrews and recording their history as the chosen people; the first half of the Christian Bible
But if we are going to be honest and go back even further than this, it is clear that the Old Testament as some call it is even more liberal and inclusive even than any of these.
This is an Old Testament concept, one that Jesus attempted to dispel.
In contrast to the free Sarah, Hagar, the slave woman, represents the Old Testament (as opposed to the New Testament), the principle of law (as opposed to that of mercy and grace), and literal meaning (as opposed to spiritual).
I'm sure the airwaves and the cable channels will soon be wall-to-wall with conservatives and Republicans and other assorted 133h-century thinkers whining and moaning and ringing their hands - probably gnashing their teeth and rending their garments, too, according to the Old Testament model.
In my survey of Old Testament, I try for a both/and.
"I can see why women would raise questions, but it seems to me ludicrous for the school to reach a punitive decision because so much of our work is studying old texts," says Walter Brueggemann, professor of Old Testament at Columbia Theological Seminary in Decatur, Ga.
But there is another thing that the prophet tells us of the Old Testament; the spirit of wisdom and understanding is at work in us.
The spectacled young man led them into a gloomy little waiting-room, suggestive of a railway station and hung with Old Testament prints.
_A fragment of Old Testament verse has been running through my mind -- from Ecclesiastes, I think.
In the Old Testament sin is set forth as an act of disobedience
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.