from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- A province of east-central Canada. It joined the confederation in 1867. First visited by French explorers in the early 1600s, it passed to the British in 1763 and became part of the province of Quebec in 1774. It was called Upper Canada after its division from Quebec (then Lower Canada) in 1791. Reunited with Lower Canada in 1841, it became a separate province with the formation of the confederation. Toronto is the capital and the largest city. Population: 12,200,000.
- A city of southern California east of Los Angeles. It is a residential and industrial center in a citrus-growing region. Population: 173,000.
- LakeOntario The smallest of the Great Lakes, between southeast Ontario, Canada, and northwest New York. The St. Lawrence Seaway and Welland Ship Canal connect with the lake to afford passage by oceangoing vessels to the other Great Lakes.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A lake between Ontario province and New York State.
- proper n. A province in eastern Canada that has Toronto as its capital.
- proper n. A city in California.
- proper n. A town in Oregon.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a prosperous and industrialized province in central Canada
- n. the smallest of the Great Lakes
Searching for "ontario hydro" mentioned in papers in Ontario seems to work.
COLIN D'CUNHA, ONTARIO CHIEF MEDICAL OFFICER: As long as there is SARS activity somewhere in the world and as long as the contacts are not isolated, the potential exists for SARS to continue to spread, which is exactly why here in Ontario, Canada, we will throw, once again, everything we have at it to control and contain the disease.
ERNIE EVES, ONTARIO PREMIER: New York, which is the northeastern center that is set up to review the entire northeast of the U.S. and Canada, has concluded this morning that, indeed, it did happen in the upper Midwest U.S., not in the province of Ontario.
RIDGETOWN, ONTARIO -- (Marketwire - March 29, 2010) - A new dynamic community based, farmer-owned solar energy company located in southwestern Ontario was announced last week, called AGRIS Solar Co-operative.
ETOBICOKE, ONTARIO, PRESS RELEASE -- (Marketwire - March 3, 2010) - The Ontario Construction Secretariat (OCS) released the findings of its 2010 Survey of Ontario's ICI Construction Industry this morning to an audience of construction industry professionals and business owners at the OCS 10th Annual State of the Industry
Off-duty officers arrested in connection with alleged kidnapping, rape ONTARIO - Two off-duty law enforcement officers were arrested Saturday night in connection with the alleged kidnapping and rape of an Ontario restaurant employee.
TORONTO, ONTARIO, - Magna International Inc. 's controversial plan to pay a hefty premium for founder Frank Stronach to give up his voting control of the company has been approved by an Ontario judge.
OAKVILLE, ONTARIO - (Marketwire - April 16, 2010) - The Honourable Gary Goodyear, Minister of State for the Federal Economic Development Agency for southern Ontario, will make an announcement regarding the Government of Canada's commitment to southern Ontario's academic institutions and the economy.
OTTAWA, ONTARIO - (Marketwire - March 26, 2010) - Today, Industry Minister Tony Clement issued the following statement welcoming the news that General Motors of Canada Limited (GM Canada) is expanding production at its plant in Oshawa, Ontario, adding a third shift that will bring back over 600 workers:
GODERICH, ONTARIO -- (Marketwire - March 14, 2009) - Mr. Ben Lobb, Member of Parliament for Huron-Bruce, on behalf of the Honourable Diane Finley, Minister of Human Resources and Skills Development, will highlight a contribution for seniors on March 14 in Goderich, Ontario.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.