from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of, relating to, or occurring at Pentecost.
- adj. Of, relating to, or being any of various Christian religious congregations whose members seek to be filled with the Holy Spirit, in emulation of the Apostles at Pentecost.
- n. A member of a Pentecostal congregation: "Pentecostals rejected the belief of many fundamentalists that . . . God had ceased to reveal himself to man” ( John B. Judis).
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. of, or relating to Pentecost
- adj. of, or relating to a Christian religious movement that emphasizes the Holy Spirit
- n. a member of a Pentecostal church
- n. An offering formerly made to the parish priest, or to the mother church, at Pentecost.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to Pentecost or to Whitsuntide.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of or pertaining to Pentecost; occurring or happening at Pentecost: as, the pentecostal gift of tongues; pentecostal offerings.
- Offerings formerly made at Pentecost or Whitsuntide by parishioners to their priest, or by inferior churches to the mother church, etc. Also called Whitsun-farthings.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. of or relating to or occurring at Pentecost
- n. any member of a Pentecostal religious body
- adj. of or relating to or characteristic of any of various Pentecostal religious bodies or their members
Sorry, no etymologies found.