American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- A country of eastern Asia consisting of the Philippine Islands, an archipelago in the western Pacific Ocean southeast of China. Inhabited by Malays and various indigenous groups, the islands were first sighted by Magellan's expedition in 1521 and were colonized by the Spanish after 1565. They came under U.S. control in 1898 after the Spanish-American War. A commonwealth was created in 1935 and full independence achieved in 1946. The islands were occupied by Japan during much of World War II. Political turmoil led to the dictatorship of Ferdinand Marcos after 1965 and his exile in 1986 following the election of Corazón Aquino. Manila is the capital and the largest city. Population: 91,100,000.
- n. The Republic of the Philippines, a Southeast Asian country comprised of over seven thousand islands in the Pacific Ocean.
- n. an archipelago in the southwestern Pacific including some 7000 islands
- n. a republic on the Philippine Islands; achieved independence from the United States in 1946
- From Spanish Filipinas, from Felipe, the name of a King of Spain. (Wiktionary)
“Froilan Gallardo/Associated Press PHILIPPINES FLOOD: A man evacuated an elderly woman Tuesday after raging floodwaters and landslides from unseasonable rains hit 25 provinces in southern Philippines, killing at least 56 people.”
“Ethics Adviser Warned Palin About Trooper Issue Bullit Marquez/Associated Press PHILIPPINES PROTEST: Students shouted slogans while burning a mock U.S. flag during a protest in downtown Manila, Philippines, to coincide with the seventh anniversary of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.”
“It can be as sweeping and fleeting as memorylady's "it sucks that we don't have proper city libraries here in the philippines" and IslandGirl's "But public libraries are a joke in the Philippines.”
“GLORIA MACAPAGAL-ARROYO, PRESIDENT, PHILIPPINES: So we've been terrorism in southwestern Philippines for a long time now.”
“PRESIDENT GLORIA MACAPAGAL-ARROYO, PHILIPPINES: We've been fighting terrorism in southwestern Philippines for a long time now.”
“The most complete work on the Philippines is D.C. Worcester, _Philippines: Past and Present_ (2 vols., 1914), by a member of the C.mmission; the valuable report of C.mmissioner Taft is in _Report of the Philippine”
“Ita's people child in the philippines, Philippines localities of china town in binondo, manila philippines, filipino roaming around surfing some products to buy, window shoppings, Monday, January, 26, 2009”
“PHILIPPINES (AP) - A U. S.-based rights group urged the Philippines on Monday to reform a tough anti-abortion law that it says have spawned widespread underground procedures that kill about”
“PHILIPPINES - Suspected Al-Qaida-linked militants raided a village in the southern Philippines early Saturday, killing 11 people in the country's worst militant attack on PNP chief Jesus Verzosa said the PNP will intensify operations against the Abu Sayyaf intelligence reports showed some 400 ...”
“Drag to Playlist elections race 2010 Gordon on Aquino-Villar debate What about us in the philippines new report rental01. calypsoinnovation.com Philippines election race is hotting up, Philippine Daily Inquirer First Posted 01: 18: 00 02/15/2010 Filed Under:”
Looking for tweets for Philippines.