from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- In the New Testament, the daughter of Herodias and niece of Herod Antipas, who granted her the head of John the Baptist in return for her dancing.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A name ascribed to the stepdaughter of Herod who asked for the execution of John the Baptist.
- proper n. A woman mentioned in Mark 16:1.
- proper n. A female given name, rarely used.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. woman whose dancing beguiled Herod into giving her the head of John the Baptist
Related to the Hebrew word shalom and the male given name Solomon, both meaning "peace". (Wiktionary)