from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- abbr. transmit-receive
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The ISO 3166-1 two-letter (alpha-2) code for Turkey.
- Teddy Roosevelt, a popular president of the United States after whom many institutions are named, and the institutions themselves.
- Draft Technical Report (usage from ISO)
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An abbreviation of transactions;
- n. of treasurer;
- n. of the Latin tribunus, tribune;
- n. of trustee;
- n. of the Latin tinctura, tincture.
- n. An abbreviation of Their Royal Highnesses.
- n. An abbreviation: of transitive;
- n. of translation, translated, translator;
- n. of transpose;
- n. of transfer;
- n. of trill.
- n. In chem., the symbol for terbium.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Yet I remain convinced that TR is the key to understanding Alice.
I think TR is hitting us with a trick question as Jamaica Bay has a resident population of blues (and stripers for that matter) so the fishing can be epic all year long ....
The term "bully" as an adjective was a superlative in TR's day, but the effect, a platform from which one may persuasively to advocate an agenda, is the same.
The Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan said in Kurdish "TR ses li ser xere be"
Republicans like to name TR as a President they admire.
You may recall TR ran a third party campaign after his time in office.
Cleveland im -- almost immediately called TR in for a meeting to talk about other things that might be of interest, particularly civil service reform, and they formed this amazing alliance.
LAMB: Even after he was President, people called TR "Colonel."
Consider again the words of D.A. Carson in his book on the King James Version: "... the textual basis of the TR is a small number of haphazardly and relatively late minuscule manuscripts" (Carson, p. 36).
The fact remains that there ARE a number of scholarly men who remain convinced that the TR is the preserved Word of God and that the Westcott-Hort text is corrupted.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.