American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A constellation in the Southern Hemisphere near Pyxis and Carina.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Plural of velum.
- n. astronomy A spring constellation of the northern sky, said to resemble the sails of a ship. Until 1763, it was part of a larger constellation, Argo Navis.
- n. a constellation in the southern hemisphere between Carina and Pyxis
- Named by the French astronomer Nicolas Louis de Lacaille in 1763. From Latin vēla (pl. of vēlum), the "sails of a ship" (Wiktionary)
- Latin vēla, pl. of vēlum, a covering. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Police said DeAngelo Jose Garner, 24, of District Heights was arrested on a warrant and charged with first-degree murder while armed in Vela's death.”
“Vela is a native of the Rio Grande Valley of Texas and hails from a pioneer South Texas family.”
“Final Four: UMBC beats Brownsville to retain title Vela, IS 318, Adelberg and Lee on Top at the Junior High Nationals”
“Vela is a graduate of the University of Texas with a B.A. in Government, received a J.D. from St. Mary’s Law School and is a member of the State Bar of Texas.”
“It was instead directed toward the panoramic transparent aluminum window, through which the faintly reflecting surfaces of several shadow-engulfed comet fragments could be seen framing the distant ember of the star known as Vela OB2–404.”
“The Vela is a decidedly modernist way to mix up your morning smoothie or evening mudslide.”
“I promised myself I won't buy it but Elverys have 25% off all jerseys at the moment and I'm tempted. yeah, Garantia calls Vela 'her son' can't quite remember why tho lol The blue away kit looks really well, less like a football shirt than a polo shirt, but it looks a lot better in the flesh ...”
“StarCraft: Frontline, volume 4, “Fear the Reaper” by David Gerrold and Ruben de Vela”
“It's not a garage sale if residents are running businesses out of their homes, selling new merchandise," said Rolando Vela, city manager of Laguna Vista, Texas, where lawmakers this month began discussing a proposal to regulate garage sales.”
“The victim was identified as Antonio Valdez Vela, 22.”
Looking for tweets for Vela.