from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One of a seafaring Scandinavian people who raided the coasts of northern and western Europe from the eighth through the tenth century.
- n. A Scandinavian.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A stock character common in the fantasy genera, a barbarian, generally equipped with an ax and a helmet adorned with horns.
- n. A player on the Minnesota Vikings NFL team.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One belonging to the pirate crews from among the Northmen, who plundered the coasts of Europe in the eighth, ninth, and tenth centuries.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A rover or sea-robber belonging to one of the prodatory bands of Northmen who infosted the European seas during the eighth, ninth, and tenth centuries and made various settlements in the British Islands, France, etc.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any of the Scandinavian people who raided the coasts of Europe from the 8th to the 11th centuries
Old Norse vīkingr, perhaps from vīk, creek, inlet.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
A loan from Old Norse víkingr. Already in Old English as wīcing and Old Frisian witsing, wising, but extinct in Middle English and loaned anew in the 19th century. (Wiktionary)