American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- v. To make or become slightly acid.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To tincture with an acid; render somewhat acid or sourish.
- Figuratively, to sour, as the mind; embitter; make cross or captious.
- v. transitive To make something slightly, or moderately acid; to acidify
- v. transitive To make sour in a moderate degree; to sour somewhat
- v. transitive To use an acidic catalyst. The chemical change being emphasised over the importance of the change in ph. Used in the processing of biodiesel co-products.
GNU Webster's 1913
- v. To make sour or acid in a moderate degree; to sour somewhat.
- v. make sour or more sour
- acidul(ous) + -ate1. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“He sits on a rime-covered steel chest, pours a thick sludge of RonRico and lime juice into his travel cup and drinks the acidulate, relishing the chill around his heart and the tingle in his tongue, evidence of life, non est disputandum.”
“I love the word 'acidulate,'" explains Leslie Tormer.”
“She moved a little closer to Cecil in a rather pathetic gesture of reliance upon that acidulate, bloodless comradeship that was all he had to offer her.”
“Alkali blue 6 B, After dyeing rinse, then acidulate as above and wash well.”
“A cup of roselle juice diluted is better to acidulate with than the lemon juice.”
“If tomatoes are not used, acidulate a combination of tomatoes, eggplant, and peppers.”
“To apply the test, strongly acidulate with acetic acid, and then add a few drops of recently prepared potassic ferrocyanide solution.”
“A rough way is to concentrate somewhat, acidulate with hydrochloric acid, and collect and weigh the precipitate thrown down on standing.”
“_Potassium_ may be determined by precipitation as potassium platino-chloride thus: -- Dissolve 0.5 gramme in a small quantity (say 10 c.c.) of water, and carefully acidulate with hydrochloric acid, evaporate the resultant liquor to dryness in a tared platinum basin, and heat the residue gradually to dull redness.”
“After thoroughly shaking, acidulate with dilute hydrochloric acid, when a blue coloration will be produced if prussic acid is present.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘acidulate’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Includes any intangible conceivable independently of Hom. Sap.
Looking for tweets for acidulate.