from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of or having to do with adoption.
- adj. Characteristic of adoption.
- adj. Related by adoption: "increased honesty and sharing between birth families, adoptive families and adoptees” ( Robyn S. Quinter). See Usage Note at adopt.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Related through adoption; more generally, relating to adoption.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Pertaining to adoption; made or acquired by adoption; fitted to adopt
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Fitted for or given to adopting: as, a receptive and adoptive language. Constituted by adoption; adopting or adopted: as, an adoptive father or son. Assumed: as, “adoptive and cheerful boldness,” Milton, Ref. in Eng., i.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. acquired as your own by free choice
- adj. of parents and children; related by adoption
Sorry, no etymologies found.