from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Used as a title for a civil or military leader, especially in Turkey.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Alternative spelling of agha.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. In Turkey, a commander or chief officer. It is used also as a title of respect.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A title formerly given to great chiefs in Turkey, and especially to the commander-in-chief of the janizaries.
- n. A title of respect given to village magnates and petty gentlemen in Turkey.
- n. Also spelled agha.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. title for a civil or military leader (especially in Turkey)
Turkish ağa, from Old Turkic aqa, older brother.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)