from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Occurring or reproducing without the union of male and female cells; asexual or parthenogenetic.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Occurring without the union of male and female gametes; asexual
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Produced without sexual union.
- adj. Not having visible organs of reproduction, as flowerless plants; agamous.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Asexual: in zoology, applied to reproduction without the congress of individuals of opposite sexes, as by fission, budding, encystment, or parthenogenesis; used also of ova capable of germination without impregnation.
- In botany, of or pertaining to theAgamæ or cryptogams.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. (of reproduction) not involving the fusion of male and female gametes in reproduction
From Late Latin agamus, unmarried, from Greek agamos : a-, without; see a-1 + gamos, marriage; see -gamy.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)