from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A tip, originally of metal and often decorative, on a ribbon or cord that makes lacing two parts of a garment or garments together easier, as in corset lacings, "points" (lacing hose or trousers to jacket or doublet) or sleeves to a bodice.
- n. An ornament worn on clothing, consisting of a metal tag on a fringe, or a small metallic plate or spangle.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Same as aglet.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In heraldry, an eaglet or young eagle.
- n. See aglet.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. ornamental tagged cord or braid on the shoulder of a uniform
- n. metal or plastic sheath over the end of a shoelace or ribbon
Borrowed from Middle French aiguillette ("needle"), diminuative of aguille. (Wiktionary)