from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A crystalline amino acid, C3H7NO2, that is a constituent of many proteins.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A nonessential amino acid 2-aminopropanoic acid found in most animal proteins
- n. A specific residue, molecule, or isomer of this amino acid
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. one of the natural amino acids found combined in the proteins of most living tissues. It can be isolated as a white crystalline base, C3H7NO2. The natural form is the L-configuration.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a crystalline amino acid that occurs in many proteins
German Alanin, ultimately from Aldehyd, aldehyde; see aldehyde.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From the word aldehyde. (Wiktionary)