American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adv. At, on, or to the leeward side.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Nautical, on or toward the lee side of a ship or boat, that is, the sheltered side, on which the wind does not strike; away from the wind: opposed to aweather (which see). The helm of a ship is said to be alee when the tiller is pushed close to the lee side, causing the rudder to move in the opposite direction, and thus bringing the ship's head into the wind. In cases where a steering-wheel is used, the same effect is produced by turning the wheel toward the wind.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adv. (Naut.) On or toward the lee, or the side away from the wind; the opposite of
aweather. The helm of a ship is aleewhen pressed close to the lee side.
- adv. on or toward the lee
- a (“preposition”) + lee. (Wiktionary)
“If you like this look, you should click the thanks everyone! you are welcome to see the complete "alee" collection on my facebook page: D”
“Now I know I sound obssessive, and maybe I am, but for old guys like me, who really remember, the old GIJoe even the details of the old GIjoe, this movie, just isn't going to do it justice .. rangerspock on Feb 24, 2009 where is the subtitle? alee on Sep 20, 2009”
“Yes | No | Report from alee wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago people get peppered all the time, no big deal.”
“There's your blog, of course, and some others, but I've found a funny gendered inclination towards or alee public serialized pontification and free-ranging authority.”
“August 14, 2008 at 6:25 am et leest u nawt dum alee-un :p”
“October 1, 2008 at 12:43 am sailor kitteh says hard sara alee!”
“The organization brought out a monthly paper alee 'Jamhoori Hakk'.”
“These were doing their best to fly, but failing of that luck, put helm alee, and shivered in the wind, and made fine speeches, proving that they must win the day.”
“The shouts and shrieks and smart-alee comments of the first rush of embarrassed excitement had died down, and now only murmurs and whispers could be heard.”
“When the crew replies “Ready,” the helmsman turns the tiller, saying, “Hard alee.””
These user-created lists contain the word ‘alee’.
Not just rare words, but thousands of RARE WORDS WITH DEFINITIONS.
If you want to see the definitions, too, go to
1815 edition; ed. William Burney (London: Chatham Publishing, 2006).
Scrabble List: vowel dumps
Looking for tweets for alee.