American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. See cross-fertilization.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Cross-fertilization in plants; fecundation of the ovules of one flower by pollen from another of the same species. Distinguished from
autogamy, or self-fertilization, in which the ovules are fecundated by pollen from the same flower.
- n. biology The fertilization of an ovum from one individual with the spermatozoa of another; cross-fertilization
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Bot.) Fertilization of the pistil of a plant by pollen from another of the same species; cross-fertilization.
- n. cross-fertilization in plants
- allo- + -gamy (Wiktionary)
Sorry, no example sentences found.
These user-created lists contain the word ‘allogamy’.
Not just rare words, but thousands of RARE WORDS WITH DEFINITIONS.
If you want to see the definitions, too, go to
List of terms used in the study and classification of pollen and spores - both fossil and modern.
"Luciferous Logolepsy is a collection of over 9,000 obscure English words. Though the definition of an 'English' word might seem to be straightforward, it is not. There exist so many adopted, deriv...
Words that I used to know.
Looking for tweets for allogamy.