from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adv. In a forceful manner.
- adv. At full speed; in great haste.
- adv. Out of control.
- v. To lower the topsail, in token of surrender; to yield.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adv. With might; with full force; vigorously; violently; exceedingly.
- adv. At full speed; in great haste; also, at once.
- transitive v. To lower, as a sail, a yard, etc.
- intransitive v. To lower the topsail, in token of surrender; to yield.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- With force, strength, or violence; violently; furiously; suddenly; at full speed; hastily.
- To lead; conduct; manage.
- To lower (a sail), especially the topsail.
- To lower; abate.
- To lower the topsail or one's flag, in token of yielding; yield; surrender.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adv. with all your strength
- adv. at full speed; with great haste
a- + main (“strength, power, force”) (Wiktionary)