American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. An eye abnormality, such as nearsightedness, farsightedness, or astigmatism, resulting from faulty refractive ability of the eye.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A condition of the eye which is abnormal with respect to refraction: the opposite of emmetropia. It comprises myopia, hypermetropia, presbyopia, and astigmatism. See these words.
- n. medicine Any of several disorders of the eye (spherical or cylindrical) resulting from faulty refractive ability.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Med.) a visual impairment resulting from faulty refraction of light rays in the eye. Subtypes include myopia astigmatism and hyperopia.
- n. (ophthalmology) faulty refraction of light rays in the eye as in astigmatism or myopia
- Greek ametros, without measure (a-, without; see a-1 + metron, measure; see meter1) + -opia. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“I have discovered ametropia in the particular form of irregular astigmatism.”
“They are amblyopic, and this is due partially to a high degree of ametropia (caused by crushing of the eyeball in the endeavor to shut out light) and from retinal exhaustion and nystagmus.”
“Incorporating patented HyperBond (TM) technology and HydrolEyes (TM) surface science, the SynergEyes (R) contact lenses with FDA market clearance include: SynergEyes (R) A for naturally occurring ametropia, targeting patients with astigmatism, current gas permeable lens wearers, and patients demanding optimized vision; the SynergEyes (R) Multifocal lens for presbyopia;”
“- severe, usually congenital, mental deficiency. ametropia”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘ametropia’.
A list of words which yield surprising, beautiful, amusing, or otherwise noteworthy images here on Wordnik.
Not just rare words, but thousands of RARE WORDS WITH DEFINITIONS.
If you want to see the definitions, too, go to
List of words (or phrases) containing eye-, -eye-, or -eye. Beginning with red-eye and eyebright.
I've since begun adding other more oblique terms that lack the string -eye-, but that...
"Luciferous Logolepsy is a collection of over 9,000 obscure English words. Though the definition of an 'English' word might seem to be straightforward, it is not. There exist so many adopted, deriv...
denoting a visual disorder
For stuff to simply reside.
Looking for tweets for ametropia.