Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The faculty of seeing objects at a great distance; hence, sagacity as regards the future; far-sighted discernment.
- n. In pathology, a defect of sight owing to which objects near at hand are seen indistinctly, while those at remoter distances appear distinctly; hypermetropia or presbyopia.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The state or condition of being long-sighted; hence, sagacity; shrewdness.
- n. (Med.) See Hypermetropia.
- n. abnormal condition in which vision for distant objects is better than for near objects
“Rabbi Lionel Blue once called it moral long-sightedness: the ablity to focus on poverty in Africa, or the effects of global warming, but be blind to the heartbreaking deprivation outside your own doorstep.”
“For some time — a year? two? — he had known that his glasses were inadequate aids for his current level of long-sightedness but as with most such things, he had not bothered to replace them.”
“Moral long-sightedness This is a phrase from Rabbi Lionel Blue.”
“Thus, on the Left it is taken for granted that adherence to the social teaching of the Church entails support for increasing the minimum wage, for universal, tax-funded health care, and for lenient treatment of illegal immigrants; support for just-war doctrine is assumed to mean opposition to most if not all military action, at least when undertaken by the United States without permission from that bastion of harmony, virtue, and long-sightedness, the United Nations.”
“Fig. 164 — * Diagrams illustrating long-sightedness and short-sightedness*, and method of remedying these defects by lenses.”
“Show how the proper lenses remedy short - and long-sightedness.”
“Short-sightedness is corrected by concave lenses and long-sightedness by convex lenses, as shown in diagrams above.”
“Mr. McLain by earnest long-sightedness and industry succeeded in becoming a well-to-do citizen.”
“It was the misfortune of Allcraft, with all his long-sightedness, not to see far enough.”
“It is rather disappointing that our statesmen are not looking with the more long-sightedness on the general constitution of the social structure and less on the disease itself, actual unemployment.”
‘long-sightedness’ hasn't been added to any lists yet.
Looking for tweets for long-sightedness.