from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Linguistics Occurring without an article. Used especially of Greek nouns.
- adj. Zoology Lacking joints.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Not having an article (especially of Greek nouns).
- adj. Not having a determiner.
- adj. Not having joints.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Used without the article.
- adj. Without joints, or having the joints indistinct, as some insects.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- In zoöl.:
- Without joints; not jointed; inarticulated.
- Having no articulated limbs; anarthropodous.
- In grammar, without the article: applied especially to Greek nouns so used exceptionally.
From Greek anarthros, not articulated : an-, without; see a-1 + arthron, joint; see ar- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
an- + arthrous, from Ancient Greek ἄρθρον (arthron, "joint; grammatical article"). (Wiktionary)