from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A tropical American evergreen shrub or small tree (Bixa orellana), having heart-shaped leaves and showy, rose-pink or sometimes white flowers. Also called lipstick tree.
- n. The seed of this plant, used as a coloring and sometimes as a flavoring, especially in Latin American cuisine.
- n. A yellowish-red dyestuff obtained from the seed aril of this plant, used especially to dye fabric and to color food products such as margarine and cheese.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A tropical American evergreen shrub, Bixa orellana; the lipstick tree.
- n. The seed of this tree used as a colouring or in Latin American cooking.
- n. An orange-red dye obtained from this seed.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Same as arnotto.
Of Cariban origin.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)