from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The repeated use of the same word or phrase, but with a different meaning each time; a kind of pun.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A figure which consists in repeating the same word in a different sense; as, Learn some craft when young, that when old you may live without craft.
- n. A repetition of words beginning a sentence, after a long parenthesis; as, Shall that heart (which not only feels them, but which has all motions of life placed in them), shall that heart, etc.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In rhetoric, a figure which consists in repeating the same word in a different sense: as, while we live, let us live; learn some craft when young, that when old you may live without craft.
- n. In grammar, a repetition, after a long parenthesis, of a word or words preceding it: as, shall that heart (which has been thought to be the seat of emotion, and which is the center of the body's life), shall that heart, etc.
From Ancient Greek ἀντανάκλασις (antanaklasis, "reflection, bending back"), ἀντί (anti, "against") + ἀνά (ana, "up") + κλάσις (klasis, "breaking"). (Wiktionary)