from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Coming before the next to the last in a series.
- n. An antepenult.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Two before the last, i.e., the one immediately before the penultimate, in a series.
- adj. Last but two; third from last.
- n. Two before the last in a series. e.g. (..., antepenultimate, penultimate, ultimate)
- n. The syllable that comes two before the last in a word.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to the last syllable but two.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Immediately preceding that one of a series which is next to the last one; being the third from the last of a series: as, the antepenultimate joint of a limb.
- Pertaining to the last syllable but two.
- n. The antepenultima.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the 3rd syllable of a word counting back from the end
- adj. third from last
From Late Latin antepaenultimus : Latin ante-, ante- + Latin paenultimus, next to last; see penult.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
ante- meaning before, pen- from the Latin paene meaning almost, and ultimate from the Latin ultimus meaning last (Wiktionary)