American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A place where bees and beehives are kept, especially a place where bees are raised for their honey.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A place where bees are kept; a stand or shed for bees; a bee-house containing a number of beehives.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A place where bees are kept; a stand or shed for bees; a beehouse.
- n. a shed containing a number of beehives
- 17th Century, from Latin apiārium, from apis ("bee"). (Wiktionary)
- Latin apiārium, beehive, from apis, bee. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“I love the dressing: I used huckleberry honey from a local apiary, which is dark and flavorful.”
“The blind girl sees,' said I to myself; 'she sees through thousands of eyes; the apiary is her life, her soul.”
“They also created two guest cottages, greenhouses, an apiary and vegetable, flower and berry gardens.”
“For some background, my article on the economics of the apiary.”
“Meanwhile, Mr. Niven continued the standup comedy at the podium, even as he bid more than $3,000 for a beekeeper tour of an urban apiary, for his former wife, who had requested it.”
“Books couldn't tell me everything I needed to know, so I visited an apiary in South”
“This will be the first airport in the USA with an on-site apiary.”
“I can spend hours in the apiary just watching them come and go.”
“Basically, Sweet Beginnings teaches former convicts how to keep bees and manage a rather large apiary in North Lawndale a fairly disadvantaged community in Chicago, providing workers with new skills and incomes to support themselves and their families.”
“I read just about every book I could find on bee culture, I took beekeeping workshops at the prairie preserve, and eventually took an eight- week course in apiary management.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘apiary’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
an immense, grandiloquent list that loads like a thousand years sentence in stone. new words are in the other lists.
List of most of the words I've learned
Taisha GRE Bible
A list of words whose meanings I am learning, either because a) I don't know the meaning b) I know the meaning, but could stand to better appreciate certain inflections or secondary meanings or c) ...
Hecko, words! I’m so happy I’ve found you. I want to keep you all and never want to lose you again. I hope you like it here.
Looking for tweets for apiary.