American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A strong clear Scandinavian liquor distilled from potato or grain mash and flavored with caraway seed.
- n. A Scandinavian liquor that is 40% alcohol and distilled from potato or grain mash. Also called akvavit.
- n. A Polish, Ukrainian, or Russian drink that is a precursor or variant of vodka. Also called okovita.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. a Scandinavian liquor usually flavored with caroway seeds; -- also called
- n. Scandinavian liquor usually flavored with caraway seeds
- Latin aqua vitae ("spirits") (Wiktionary)
- Swedish, Danish, and Norwegian akvavit, from Medieval Latin aqua vītae, highly distilled spirits : Latin aqua, water; see aqua + Latin vītae, genitive of vīta, life; see vital. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“The smorgasbord, Sweden's gastronomic treasure, evolved out of something called the "aquavit buffet" or the "vodka table.”
“But to many of us native-born Americans, the ability to speak something besides English remains as exotic as drinking aquavit or kava.”
“The Scandinavian pairing of pickled mackerel and aquavit $14 counterbalances two intense flavors.”
“And no place to be unless you're mad for herring and aquavit.”
“The brunch set comes with coffee or tea, plus mimosa, bloody mary, or a shot of aquavit.”
“Something Scandinavian would be nice, like pickled anything with an aquavit, lingonberry, dill sauce, but call it glaze.”
“Served on a wooden slab, I sampled hearty rye bread topped with fried herring, cured salmon and curry chicken salad and I made sure to have a glass of the housemade elderberry aquavit.”
“Instead of brandy, most Swedish recipes calls for aquavit, a distilled spirit frequently flavored with caraway seeds.”
“If you want to play, instead of brandy try using Swedish aquavit, a caraway flavored vodka popular in Scandinavia.”
“I was happily surprised to see an aquavit, Lysholm Linie from Norway, listed at #2 in the category of Vodka, Aquavit, & Neutral Grain Spirits; was Pacult sending some kind of a message to vodka producers?”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘aquavit’.
of or relating to water
Interesting words worth @ least 15 points.
Liqueurs (generic) from around the world
Fermented and distilled.
Looking for tweets for aquavit.