from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The central cavity of the gastrula, which ultimately becomes the intestinal or digestive cavity.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A primitive alimentary cavity
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The primitive enteron or undifferentiated digestive sac of a gastrula or other embryo. See Illust. under invagination.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The enteron (which see) in its original or primitive undifferentiated state: opposed to metenteron.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. central cavity of the gastrula; becomes the intestinal or digestive cavity
arch- from Latin archi- from Ancient Greek ἀρχι- (archi-) + enteron from Ancient Greek ἔντερον (enteron, "gut"). (Wiktionary)