from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various members of a large group of fungi characterized by the presence of sexually produced spores formed within an ascus. Also called sac fungus.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any fungus of the phylum Ascomycota, characterized by the production of a sac, or ascus, which contains non-motile spores.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. any fungus of the class Ascomycetes (or subdivision Ascomycota) in which the spores are formed inside an ascus.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Any member of the class Ascomycetes.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any fungus of the class Ascomycetes (or subdivision Ascomycota) in which the spores are formed inside an ascus
Sorry, no etymologies found.