American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Inability to stand because of motor incoordination.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A genus of eustomatous flagellate infusorians, typical of the family Astasiidæ, having a distinct tubular pharynx. It contains such species as A. trichophora, found in marsh-water.
- n. [lowercase] Inability to stand in consequence of defective muscular action, which is not necessarily in coördination or paralysis.
- n. medicine Inability to stand without assistance.
- n. inability to stand due to muscular incoordination
- Greek, unsteadiness, from astatos, unsteady : a-, not; see a-1 + statos, standing; see stā- in Indo-European roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“From this same standpoint I have studied another case, a married woman of twenty-nine, with marked neurasthenic and hysterical symptoms (including astasia-abasia, anesthesias, palpitation of the heart, throbbing sensations in the stomach and a great many other symptoms).”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘astasia’.
"Luciferous Logolepsy is a collection of over 9,000 obscure English words. Though the definition of an 'English' word might seem to be straightforward, it is not. There exist so many adopted, deriv...
Words containing "asta".
Looking for tweets for astasia.