from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Inability to stand because of motor incoordination.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Inability to stand without assistance.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A genus of eustomatous flagellate infusorians, typical of the family Astasiidæ, having a distinct tubular pharynx. It contains such species as A. trichophora, found in marsh-water.
- n. [lowercase] Inability to stand in consequence of defective muscular action, which is not necessarily in coördination or paralysis.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. inability to stand due to muscular incoordination
From this same standpoint I have studied another case, a married woman of twenty-nine, with marked neurasthenic and hysterical symptoms (including astasia-abasia, anesthesias, palpitation of the heart, throbbing sensations in the stomach and a great many other symptoms).
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.