from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Inability to stand because of motor incoordination.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Inability to stand without assistance.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A genus of eustomatous flagellate infusorians, typical of the family Astasiidæ, having a distinct tubular pharynx. It contains such species as A. trichophora, found in marsh-water.
- n. [lowercase] Inability to stand in consequence of defective muscular action, which is not necessarily in coördination or paralysis.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. inability to stand due to muscular incoordination
Greek, unsteadiness, from astatos, unsteady : a-, not; see a-1 + statos, standing; see stā- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)