from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An institution, such as a literary club or scientific academy, for the promotion of learning.
- n. A place, such as a library, where printed materials are available for reading.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An association for the advancement of learning, particularly in the fields of science or literature.
- n. A building for storing books or newspapers; a library, reading-room etc.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a place where reading materials are available
- n. a literary or scientific association for the promotion of learning
Late Latin Athēnaeum, a Roman school, after Greek Athēnaion, the temple of Athena, from Athēna, Athena.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin Athenaeum, from Ancient Greek Ἀθηναῖον, from Ἀθήνη ("Athene"). (Wiktionary)