from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Characterized by melancholy or glum; atrabilarious; atrabilious.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Affected with melancholy; atrabilious.
- n. A person much given to melancholy; a hypochondriac.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Affected with melancholy, which the ancients attributed to black bile; atrabilious.
- n. A person of an atrabiliar temperament; a hypochondriac. Disraeli.
This coldness on the part of the public shot an atrabilarian tint through the ambition of our poet, and the fond hope of a success in literature faded from his mind.
Old Nick probably did not come off because at the moment he was an atrabilarian suffering acutely from black bile or black choler, and his atrabilariousness was making him woefully chumpish.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.