from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The destruction of tissues or cells of an organism by the action of substances, such as enzymes, that are produced within the organism. Also called self-digestion.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The destruction of an organism's cells by enzymes produced by the organism itself.
- n. The autodigestion of the tissues of an organism.
- n. The autocytolysis of blood cells.
- n. The decomposition of dead yeast cells in wine after fermentation.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. lysis of cells or tissues due to enzymatic activity from within the cell, as contrasted with externally induced lysis.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Self-dissolution; in physiology, self-digestion; autodigestion.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. lysis of plant or animal tissue by an internal process
Sorry, no etymologies found.