from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The nonelastic rubber obtained from the latex of the South American tree Manilkara bidentata. It has been used in the manufacture of golf-ball covers and machine belts.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A West Indian sapotaceous tree (Bumelia retusa).
- n. The bully tree (Minusops globosa); also, its milky juice (balata gum), which when dried constitutes an elastic gum called chicle, or chicle gum.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Same as balata-gum.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. when dried yields a hard substance used e.g. in golf balls
- n. a tropical hardwood tree yielding balata gum and heavy red timber
American Spanish, from Tupi and Galibi.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)