from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A person who stands on a rock or eminence to observe shoals of herring, etc., and to give notice to the men in boats which way they pass.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who, or that which, balks.
- n. A person who stands on a rock or eminence to espy the shoals of herring, etc., and to give notice to the men in boats which way they pass; a conder; a huer.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who balks, in any sense of the verb.
- n. A man stationed on a cliff or an eminence to look out for shoals of herrings or pilchards, and signal the direction taken by them.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a person who refuses to comply
balk + -er (Wiktionary)