from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Canada & New England Nautical A long, light, flatbottom boat with a sharply pointed bow and stern.
- n. South Atlantic & Gulf States Nautical A small, light, flatbottom rowboat.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A small, flat-bottomed type of boat.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A boat; esp. a flat-bottomed, clumsy boat used on the Canadian lakes and rivers.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A light boat for river navigation, long in proportion to its breadth, and wider in the middle than at the ends.
- n. A pontoon of a floating bridge.
Canadian and Louisiana French, from French, boat, from Old French batel, from Old English bāt; see bheid- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Borrowing from French bateau (Wiktionary)