from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Computer Science A unit of speed in data transmission equal to one bit per second.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A rate defined as the number of signalling events per second in a data transmission.
- n. Synonym for bps (bits per second), regardless of how many signalling events are necessary to signal each bit.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A unit of transmission speed for information conveyed over a digital communications channel, usually taken as equal to the number of bits of information transmitted per second. The speed in bauds indicates the number of signalling events per second; however, since it is necessary in most cases to transmit control information along with the data, the data signalling rate may be smaller than the baud rate.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. See bawd.
- See bawd.
- n. See bawd.
- n. The fish otherwise called the rockling.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (computer science) a data transmission rate (bits/second) for modems
After Jean Maurice Emile Baudot (1845-1903), French engineer.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Borrowing from French baud. Named for French inventor Jean-Maurice-Émile Baudot (1845-1903). (Wiktionary)