American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Computer Science A unit of speed in data transmission equal to one bit per second.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. computing, telecommunications A rate defined as the number of signalling events per second in a data transmission.
- n. computing, informal Synonym for bps (bits per second), regardless of how many signalling events are necessary to signal each bit.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Computers, telecommunications) A unit of transmission speed for information conveyed over a digital communications channel, usually taken as equal to the number of bits of information transmitted per second. The speed in bauds indicates the number of signalling events per second; however, since it is necessary in most cases to transmit control information along with the data, the data signalling rate may be smaller than the baud rate.
- n. (computer science) a data transmission rate (bits/second) for modems
- Borrowing from French baud. Named for French inventor Jean-Maurice-Émile Baudot (1845-1903). (Wiktionary)
- After Jean Maurice Emile Baudot (1845-1903), French engineer. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Mutt Lange has commented to People magazine that his relationship with Marie Ann Thiébaud is absolutely not the reason [for the separation].”
“The policy of their chiefs has on this occasion been admired, and might surely be excused; but a pious baud is seldom produced by the cool conspiracy of many persons; and a voluntary impostor might depend on the support of the wise and the credulity of the people.”
“Looks like Shania Twain and Robert “Mutt” Lange can’t keep their divorce private for long — only days after announcing their split comes news that Mutt Lange’s affair with Marie Ann Thiébaud is to blame.”
“For example your 9600 bps modem was operating at 2400 baud, which is pretty much the upper limit for a telephone line.”
“Squeezing two bits into a baud was a pretty remarkable thing at the time.”
“These speeds are selectable in hardware by appropriate wiring of a chip called a baud-rate generator.”
“(The baud is the measure of speed of data transmission: specifically, it refers to the number of signal level changes per second and is thus not the same as bits-per-second.)”
“From analog modems (remember baud rates?) to DSL to Cable to FIOS, people routinely (and happily) pay a premium for bandwidth, but they absolutely hate to pay for content.”
“I used a JCat modem on my old Atari 400 – 300 baud was the FAST setting.”
“I considered it a real honor when they asked me to join the baud.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘baud’.
List of words from phrontistery.info
My Favorite Words
There are 17576 different sequences of three letters (26 x 26 x 26). How many of them occur in words? General rules of engagement: mononyms only, lower case preferred to upper case, short preferred...
Looking for tweets for baud.