American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A rough, tight hug.
- n. any especially large, tight or enthusiastic hug, usually friendly and especially between men
- n. in business, a hostile takeover effort in which one firm offers to buy the other firm at a share price too high to refuse
- n. in wrestling, a hold with the arms around the opponent
- n. a takeover bid so attractive that the directors of the target company must approve it or risk shareholder protest
- n. a wrestling hold with arms locked tightly around the opponent
“Gorn's agonized cry was cut short as a powerful bear hug snapped his spine.”
“Thanks also to A. Paul Cirone, for his help, Robin Stamm, for hers, and a bear hug to Laura Leonard at HarperCollins, friend and publicist, who is always cheering for me.”
“The bear hug is a crude hold and easily broken by anyone not inhibited by a devotion to fair play, and when attacked without warning from behind, the Saint considered himself absolved from the code of gentlemanly conduct.”
“If SLOSS was trench warfare, this paper seemed the equivalent of Lloyd George in a bear hug with Kaiser Wilhelm.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘bear hug’.
Anything hugging related :)
I'm looking for compounds or phrases where the character of an animal is essential to the meaning, yet the term is usable in general conversation.
Hello, and Welcome™! Come and visit our most diverse land of our Animalesque™ adventures. Here at Noah's Park™ we have Virtually All You'd Ever Want To See™. An experience that is related to ani...
Words or short phrases with animal names in them. Since I already have a dedicated list for 'monkey' words I shall leave them out of this one for the moment.
Being a reply of sorts to Chained_Bear's catalogue of delineative items, What Is a Reesetee, Anyhow?
concatenated_ursa, has a job where a..., slag-ass macaroon, maharanee of scat, sultana of scat, had nickname of b..., would so rather b..., smarter than the ..., smells less than ..., uses the chains t..., mounts experiment..., nose was actually... and 81 more...
Wrestling holds and moves. (Not professional wrestling, which deserves its own list.)
Looking for tweets for bear hug.