American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The cosmic explosion that marked the origin of the universe according to the big bang theory.
- n. An explosion giving rise to a universe.
- n. In project management, a project that has no staged delivery. The customer must wait, sometimes months, before seeing anything. At the end of the wait comes a "big bang".
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Astron.) The explosive event marking the beginning of the known universe, according to big bang theory; the beginning of time.
- n. (cosmology) the cosmic explosion that is hypothesized to have marked the origin of the universe
“Won't it be a big bang then?' asked Carlo ruefully.”
“The big bang produced, from nothing, a universe composed of photons, energy-packed radiations, unimaginably hot and compressed beyond description, a soup of energy, nearly homogeneous throughout.”
“He had always disliked those scientist-believers who couldn’t seem to come down on one side or the other of the issue, the types who rigorously arrived at a big bang theory, for instance, and then conceded it might represent the divine spark.”
“It takes a big bang producing a universe guided by laws of nature somehow tuned to lead energy into rocks and water on a user-friendly planet that can take those rocks and water and change them into a marvelously complex, data-crunching, algorithmic, sound-, sight-, touch-, and smell-sensitive wonder capable of processing thousands of inputs in parallel with a cycling time of thirty thousandths of a second.”
“Sir John Maddox, for example, the avidly secular former editor of the journal Nature, one of the two most respected peer-reviewed scientific journals, opined that the big bang is philosophically unacceptable. . .”
“Shetrell Harting was the big bang and she just went bust.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘big bang’.
Interesting gene names. Some of these may have changed recently (to something less offensive/funny).
tinman, agnostic, dreadlocks, Van Gogh, fruitless, lava lamp, ariadne, cheap date, ken and barbie, I'm not dead yet, I'm not dead yet 2, manic fringe and 1192 more...
a beginner's list should be about novices and all those that start on new journeys
Names of various "medicinal" Cannabis strains, harvested from various sources.
Looking for tweets for big bang.