from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A furnace in which combustion is intensified by a blast of air, especially a furnace for smelting iron by blowing air through a hot mixture of ore, coke, and flux.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a furnace in which iron ore is smelted to iron; the process being intensified by a blast of hot air
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. a furnace, usually a shaft furnace for smelting ores, into which air is forced by pressure.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A furnace, usually vertical, or a so-called shaft-furnace, in which ores are smelted by the aid of a blast of air. See furnace.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a furnace for smelting of iron from iron oxide ores; combustion is intensified by a blast of air
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.