from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of various trees having red wood, especially certain Australian eucalypts.
- n. A loblolly bay (tree).
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A tree having the wood or the sap of the color of blood.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A name given to logwood, from its color.
- n. In Jamaica, a tree of the natural order Ternstrœmiaccæ, Laplaeea hæmatoxylon, with dark-red wood.
- n. In Australia, a name of species of Eucalyptus, especially E. corymbosa, yielding the Australian kino.
- n. A large timber-tree of India, Lagerstrœmia Flos-Reginæ, natural order Lythraceæ, with soft but durable blood-red wood, which is largely used for boat-building and ship-knees. Also called jarool-tree.
From blood + wood. (Wiktionary)