American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. See puffer.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The wall-eyed pike, Stizostedion vitreum.
- n. Any species of fish of the family Tetraodontidae that have the ability to inflate themselves to a globe several times their normal size by swallowing water or air when threatened.
- n. food : A delicacy popular in Japan served raw as sushi that may, if improperly prepared, contain deadly levels of neurotoxins
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. a fish eaten as a delicacy, especially in Japan. It is highly dangerous because of a potent nerve poison (tetrodotoxin) in its ovaries and liver. Chefs require special training to learn how to remove the poisonous parts, and in Japan they must be licensed.
- n. any of numerous marine fishes of the family
Tetraodontidaewhose elongated spiny body can inflate itself with water or air to form a globe; several species contain tetrodotoxin, a potent nerve poison; they are closely related to spiny puffers.
- n. any of numerous marine fishes whose elongated spiny body can inflate itself with water or air to form a globe; several species contain a potent nerve poison; closely related to spiny puffers
- n. delicacy that is highly dangerous because of a potent nerve poison in ovaries and liver
- blow + fish (Wiktionary)
“Unlike the toxic Fugu pufferfish or blowfish, which is an expensive delicacy in Japan but requires careful expert preparation to avoid potentially fatal poisoning, Akins says lionfish meat is safe to eat and contains no venom.”
“Au-Yeung and he said I played 'like a devilfish' - slang for the Japanese fugu fish, or blowfish, which is poisonous if it's not prepared exactly right.”
“A chef holding a blowfish, which is poisonous unless prepared correctly.”
“And whoever above called Hill a 'blowfish' ... goddamn that's funny.”
“In addition to these added features, the PK++ development team, lead by Steven "blowfish" Wilkins, has set up a coop-multiplayer campaign mode.”
“Other highlights include Charles Hazlewood leading 250 local youngsters – and the Philharmonia Orchestra – in song; the Red House Children's Book Award featuring Michael Morpurgo and Malorie Blackman; a "beat-boxing blowfish" set for under-twos with DJ Charlie Dark; and Beastie, a kids-only interactive theatre piece for which grown-ups can be dispensed with altogether.”
“Tetrodotoxin is a powerful neurotoxin found in the skin, liver, ovary, intestine and muscle of the pufferfish species (globefish, blowfish, balloon fish, toadfish).”
“Heck, fugu (blowfish) are okay, if prepared correctly ... will kill you otherwise.”
“Malkin continues to impersonate a stoned blowfish with buggy eyes.”
“Tons of people die every year in Asia from eating blowfish.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘blowfish’.
lots and lots of fish, a piscatorial
When you're underwater, what do you see or experience? Let's dive...
(Here's a cute little related list called Fishful Thinking...)
Specialized slang words from different subcultures:
Sci-Fi and Fantasy Fans
Online Gamers and RPGers
Looking for tweets for blowfish.