from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various tropical marine fishes of the order Tetraodontiformes or Plectognathi, which includes the triggerfishes, puffers, and trunkfishes.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any fish of the order Tetraodontiformes.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to the Plectognathi.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pertaining to the Plectognathi, or having their characters. Also plectognathic, plectognathous.
- n. A member of the Plectognathi.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. tropical marine fishes having the teeth fused into a beak and thick skin covered with bony plates or spines
From New Latin Plectognathī, order name : Greek plektos, twisted; see plek- in Indo-European roots + Greek gnathos, jaw; see -gnathous.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.