American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Any of various tropical marine fishes of the order Tetraodontiformes or Plectognathi, which includes the triggerfishes, puffers, and trunkfishes.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pertaining to the Plectognathi, or having their characters. Also plectognathic, plectognathous.
- n. A member of the Plectognathi.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. (Zoöl.) Of or pertaining to the Plectognathi.
- n. tropical marine fishes having the teeth fused into a beak and thick skin covered with bony plates or spines
- From New Latin Plectognathī, order name : Greek plektos, twisted; see plek- in Indo-European roots + Greek gnathos, jaw; see -gnathous. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Looking for tweets for plectognath.