from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any species of fish of the family Tetraodontidae that have the ability to inflate themselves to a globe several times their normal size by swallowing water or air when threatened; puffer, blowfish, swellfish, balloonfish, globefish.
- n. A delicacy popular in Japan served raw as sushi that may, if improperly prepared, contain deadly levels of neurotoxins; (Japanese) fugu.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any of numerous marine fishes whose elongated spiny body can inflate itself with water or air to form a globe; several species contain a potent nerve poison; closely related to spiny puffers
- n. delicacy that is highly dangerous because of a potent nerve poison in ovaries and liver
The Toxic Exposure Surveillance System of the American Association of Poison Control Centers (TESS) has identified 10 illnesses of presumed pufferfish poisoning due to exposure from PSP after eating pufferfish from the area of Titusville, Florida.
Hi Brokenbeat, as you can read, the pufferfish was a great hit with the readership.
Blowfish, aka pufferfish, of the order Tetraodontiformes, commonly contain high levels of the toxin tetrodotoxin* in their gonads, intestines, liver, and skin, although the flesh is often relatively safe.
Zooguu works their magic to transform the notorious fugu fish (aka pufferfish) into a cute yellow critter.
Then there is the mid-range 7210 Fugu product, Fugu being a Japanese pufferfish which is lethally poisonous if prepared incorrectly.
The pufferfish will tear the damn things to shreds!
When eating fugu (a Japanese pufferfish delicacy) or other pufferfish species, always make sure that it is prepared and handled by licensed professionals.
Tetrodotoxin is a powerful neurotoxin found in the skin, liver, ovary, intestine and muscle of the pufferfish species (globefish, blowfish, balloon fish, toadfish).
Paralytic shellfish poisoning (PSP) has been reported to occur after eating pufferfish, filter feeding shellfish and mollusks.
Since rapid onset of symptoms after a meal of pufferfish could indicate saxitoxin poisoning; it is recommended to call the local poison control center and go to the nearest hospital ED for evaluation. 9
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.