American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Any of various large, nonvenomous, chiefly tropical snakes of the family Boidae, which includes the python, anaconda, boa constrictor, and other snakes that coil around and suffocate their prey.
- n. A long fluffy scarf made of soft material, such as fur or feathers.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. [capitalized] In herpetology, a genus of very large non-venomous serpents, of the family Boidæ, notable for their power of constriction. It was formerly nearly coextensive with the modern family, and included all the boas, anacondas, etc., but is now restricted to certain South American species congeneric with Boa constrictor. The genus includes some of the largest known serpents (sometimes more than 20 feet long), capable of enveloping and crushing mammals as large as a deer.
- n. In ordinary language, some large serpent, as a boa-constrictor, anaconda, or python; any member of the family Boidæ or Pythonidæ.
- n. A long and slender cylindrical wrap of fur, worn by women round the neck.
- n. Any of a group of large American snakes, of the genus Boa, including the boa constrictor, the emperor boa of Mexico, and the chevalier boa of Peru.
- n. A type of scarf typically made from feathers.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Zoöl.) A genus of large American serpents, including the boa constrictor, the emperor boa of Mexico (Boa imperator), and the chevalier boa of Peru (Boa eques).
- n. A long, round fur tippet; -- so called from its resemblance in shape to the boa constrictor.
- n. a long thin fluffy scarf of feathers or fur
- n. any of several chiefly tropical constrictors with vestigial hind limbs
- Middle English, from Latin boa, a large water snake. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“The emperor boa, or boa constrictor as well as all the others to which the name boa applies are, according to Cuvier, natives of America.”
“Baltzer, Roe, and the boa are the only constants since we started seeing each other.”
“The boa, which is occasionally seen, is huge and alarming in appearance; but it is looked upon as a friend rather than an enemy.”
“The most interesting are the enormous snakes, called boa-constrictors, with bodies nearly as thick as a child's, and many yards in length.”
“Scrubby coat and trousers, dirty shirt, scarf, and cap, socks more like anklets for holes, and a pair of split boots; bedraggled hat, frowsy jacket, blouse and skirt, squashy boots, and perhaps a patchy "pelerine" or mangy "boa" -- such is accepted as the natural costume for the heirs of all the ages.”
“If the boa is a snake, he is the fellow I want to see," replied Felix.”
“Most of my animals are not on the endangered species list with the exception of the (ring tailed) lemur and the Hog Island boa, which is extinct in the wild," she said.”
“If you recall the boa constrictor story yesterday morning - yup, that was me.”
“Dugal 'got a' answer fum de spekilater, who said he wuz monst'us sorry, but Jeff had fell ove'boa'd er jumped off'n de steamboat on de way ter”
“Page 60 do when yer's on yer coolin 'boa'd lak he done bin?”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘boa’.
¡La única lista que también incluye flexiónes verbales y pluralizaciones! Ayúdame a encontrarlas todas.
(Por ser una lista para Scrabble, los dígrafos ll, rr, y ch valen como una sola ...
A list of English words that are three letters long.
Words with triphthongs in
During the month of September, post at least 10 new words to this list. Make sure you cite where you read the word (book/author/pg) and quote the context/sentence where you found it. If someone has...
A list of common animal names. Keep the list to 2 syllable words.No scientific names. No proper names like 'Fluffy' the elephant.Insects and other creatures (even ficticious like 'dragon') are we...
3 letter words, not the girl band.
boggle and speed scrabble would not be half as fun without them.
A selection of English* words ending with a vowel (except "y", "ea", ie", "ee", "oo", "ea", "ou") that is REALLY pronounced.
My favorite English words, by the way.
The good twin of The ...
These chromonyms are defined as colors in at least one dictionary (mostly MW3). (Actually there's one fake, for reasons I'll explain someday.) They are all one-word nouns such as "kelly", which can...
Ties and other neckwear.
Looking for tweets for boa.