from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A small North American quail (Colinus virginianus) having brown plumage with white markings.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any one of four species of quail in the genus Colinus, of the bird family Odontophoridae, limited to the Americas.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The common quail of North America (Colinus, or Ortyx, Virginianus); -- so called from its note.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A name of the bird Ortyx virginianus, commonly known in America as the quail or partridge. See cut under quail.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a popular North American game bird; named for its call
[Illustration: Bluebird.] "The 'bobwhite' is the funniest little bird.
And what are mearns quail, I thought that they are bobwhite quail.
The tom had squatted in the 3-foot tall grass amd held like a bobwhite until I was about to step on him.
My dad just got me Cz/huglu bobwhite sxs. where can i get good pheasant hunting chokes for it
Got into alot of good bobwhite coveys over the years, the last year we went we got into some blue quail which havent been in our area for a long time, kind of exciting.
CRP is not perfect – it has not met its potential to improve bobwhite habitat, for instance – but it has been great for farmland wildlife and much better than intensive row-crop agriculture, which is where we seem to be headed once again.
Even in one of its last strongholds on the rolling plains of northwest Texas, the bobwhite quail fights a battle against habitat loss.
I never saw him hunt bobwhite quail with anything but a 59 even though he had a personal choice of A-5's, M-12's, various SxS's and O/U's.
Yes | No | Report from bobwhite wrote 9 weeks 5 days ago
Yes | No | Report from bobwhite wrote 9 weeks 15 hours ago
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.