American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A Chinese vegetable (Brassica rapa subsp. chinensis) in the mustard family, having a loose head of dark green leaves with thick white stems. Also called celery cabbage, Chinese cabbage.
- n. Chinese cabbage, Brassica rapa chinensis, an East Asian leafy vegetable related to the Western cabbage.
- n. Asiatic plant grown for its cluster of edible white stalks with dark green leaves
- n. elongated head of dark green leaves on thick white stalks
- From Cantonese 白菜 (baak6 coi3, "white vegetable"). (Wiktionary)
- Chinese (Cantonese) paāk ts'oì, equivalent to Chinese (Mandarin) báicài : bái, white + cài, vegetable. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
These user-created lists contain the word ‘bok choy’.
The collocations below consist of nouns only. Noun-noun collocations are extremely frequent in science (just think of the names of species, chemical compounds or "scientist+invention" type collocat...
discharge lamp, correlation matrix, obidoxime chloride, withdrawal symptom, ipratropium bromide, book lung, zirconium dioxide, octane number, acetyl group, computer accessory, pinto bean, regression equation and 480 more...
n. A plant of the genus Brassica, formerly classed as Sinapis. The ordinary species are B. nigra, the black mustard; B. alba, the white mustard; and B. Sinapistrum, the wild mustard or charlock. Th...
The GNU Webster's 1913 tells us that the second meaning for cruciferous is as follows: "Of, pertaining to, or resembling, a family of plants which have four petals arranged like the arms of a cross...
Trimming the "Chained Bear's Favorites" list so I don't crash people's computers... like my own...
words from the cookbook "Nigella Bites" by Nigella Lawson
Looking for tweets for bok choy.